Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Thrive on Throwing: Arm Strength and Conditioning Program

My "Sore arm?" post has been such a hit, I decided to do a little more research about arm exercises.

Throwing harder is one of those things I'm always wishing I could do more of. Plus, I figure if my arm is stronger, not only can I throw harder, but I can probably throw a lot more accurately as well.

I found this great article called "Thrive on Throwing: Arm Strength and Conditioning Program" by coach Alan Jaeger, founder of the Jaeger Baseball Academy in Woodland Hills, CA.
While this article is written for a baseball player, I figure its technical tips can also be utilized by you, the dodgeball player.

What do you do to ensure a harder throw? I try to lead into my throw with a few steps of momentum, and follow through. Plus, I always keep my eye on the target, even for the follow-through. And you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good stuff!
I used to have arm pain but after a certain point I think you just build a tolerance to it, ive been playing for like 10 years now.

The main thing is just to get alot of nice soft warmup throws in beforehand to get things moving.

Tennis elbow straps work well too, they promote good blood circulation etc. especially good when you pinch