Tuesday, June 5, 2007

RSS Feeds

If you look to your right, you will see I just added a RSS feed for this blog that you can subscribe to.

RSS is a topic I find starting to crop up in everyday conversation, so I thought I would take a moment to write about this. Sometimes I will mention RSS to a friend of mine who is not quite as technically inclined as I am, and they ask "What is RSS, anyways?". Wikipedia offers a good explanation of RSS you can check out. In order to subscribe to an RSS feed, like mine, first you need an "RSS Reader". There are many to choose from (kind of like a Web browser), but Google Reader is my favourite (along with their personalized home page, Gmail, and Docs & Spreadsheets services. Google rocks!).

How does subscribing to RSS feeds help you? Well, rather than habitually checking my blog every hour in anticipation to see if I've updated it, you can subscribe to my feed and just sit back and wait for my latest entry to appear in your RSS reader (as long as you're checking your Reader regularly). RSS is a great way to easily be kept abreast of the latest news and blog updates from your favourite Web sites. So enjoy! I've got to get ready for dodgeball now - double header tonight and the start of our winter season playoffs!

No comments: